Teal's Legacy - Family Group April 2011
photo by: Kim Ellis
What a mix!
photo by: Kim Ellis
It's a dogs life - Tenfield Sea The Stars relaxing
photo by: Kim Ellis
Tenfield All At Sea
photo by: Kim Ellis
I and my family of Golden Retrievers along with 'Tamu' the Basenji live within two miles of Stonehenge on Salisbury Plain.
I have been owned by Goldens continuously since 1975 and before that owned a Beagle, adding a Basenji in 1978, who was my first real show dog. With my first Golden I competed in obedience and agility and started showing my second Golden in 1985. 'Ramble' won a Reserve CC at two years old and later became a Champion when I moved to Germany on marriage. She also produced my first litter in 1989 and all of my current Goldens have Ramble in their pedigree, including Champion 'Pepper'. There are currently three CC winners living under one roof.
The Tenfield dogs are known for their constantly wagging tails and happy personalities. Biddability is most important to me, I have usually chosen stud dogs that have proved they can work in some way, but temperament always remains my number one priority.
All of my dogs live in the house and share the sofa in the evenings - they are often borrowed by friends for walks, days or short holidays, I even have one out on 'permanent loan' to friends ....... to know them is to love them!
There is usually a waiting list for a home reared Tenfield Golden Retriever puppy and genuine enquiries are welcomed. I ask all buyers to sign a contract and encourage owners to stay in touch. A permanent loving home is my first consideration and I am delighted that many families have returned for a second, a third and even a fourth 'Tenfield' puppy. They are very collectable!
My dogs are pets first and foremost and I show very infrequently compared to many kennels, but I have owned two Champions, two other CC winners, three more Reserve CC winners, the Kennel Club's Kennel Gazette Top Junior Warrant Winner (All Breeds) 1999, a PetPlan Junior Stakes Finalist, six Junior Warrant winners, several Best Puppy in Show winners and most of the dogs have been Open Show Best of Breed and Championship Show winners. Four have won Championship Show Stakes classes. Overall I have owned or bred dogs in the UK who have won between them 7 CCs and 11 Res CCs, even though we go to shows only infrequently. Find out more about my dogs by clicking on the link above to visit our website.
I firmly believe all dogs should be capable of doing the job for which they were originally bred. To this end, most of my Goldens have been trained to the gun and I always have a number of dogs who work picking up for a local shoot. I have competed successfully in obedience and agility in the past, and 'Tor' passed both Stages of the Kennel Club's Gundog Working Certificate, one of only a handful of Goldens (including his Junior Warrant winning grandson) to have done so. We were presented with our Certifiicate at the 2006 Game Fair. Eight Tenfield Goldens have achieved their Show Gundog Working Certificates.
I endeavour to produce sound healthy dogs from parents who meet all of the requirements for health as laid down by the Kennel Club/British Veterinary Association and who conform to the Kennel Club Breed Standard. I hope to produce an old fashioned type of Golden, sound moving, hopefully long lived, active and brainy!
I am delighted that the handful of dogs bred here that have entered the show ring for others, have all won awards for their owners, including overseas Champions, CAC & Best in Show winners, UK Stud Book Numbers, Res CCs, Junior Warrants, Crufts qualifiers, Open Show Best of Breeds, Best Puppy & Group winners. Tenfield All At Sea won a Ch Show Veteran Stakes class and Ch Unavale Kitywake of Tenfield was Best Veteran at a breed club Ch Show age 12½ years; Tenfield Brandysnap of Crowshott was Reserve Best In Show at the Northern Golden Retriever Association Open Show in 2004 and Best Veteran In Show at the United Retriever Club Championship Show in 2005, proving that the Tenfields are 'lasters'. Many Tenfield dogs excel in obedience and agility, proving their all round capability. I am most delighted that the majority are much loved family pets and give much pleasure to their owners. This is what dog breeding is all about!
My boys' temperaments are second to none, being loving and biddable and all trained to the gun. 'Chieftan' is currently at stud - the boys have produced puppies for 'Canine Partners' and 'Dogs for the Disabled' as well as show winners, working gundogs and most importantly much loved pets. Tamu the Basenji was the sire of the top Basenji Puppy 2010 who quickly gained her Champion title. He too is renowned for his temperament, not least because he thinks he is a Golden Retriever!
The Tenfields have a relationship with the Charities Canine Partners and Dogs for the Disabled, having produced breeding stock and a demonstration dog for the former and having several dogs partnered and usually at least one in training, for the latter. This is a part of dog breeding that gives the greatest reward, knowing your dogs are helping to transform another person's life.
I have been judging at dog shows since 1982 and have awarded Challenge Certificates since 1994. I was delighted to judge Golden Retriever bitches at the Golden Retriever Club of Scotland Championship Show in April 2009, as well as judging the Basenji Owners & Breeders Association Championship Show in October - a pinnacle year for me as a judge with my two special breeds at Club shows. In 2012 I judged Golden Retriever bitches at Southern Counties Championship Show and Basenjis at the Welsh Kennel Club, another pinnacle year. I have judged many Hound and Gundog groups at Open Shows, also Terrier Groups and Best in Show and have judged overseas in many European countries, most excitingly in Calcutta, India. Judging is one of my greatest pleasures.
'Crisp' otherwise known as EMORLEN LYSANDER AT TENFIELD is an impeccably bred Beagle and lives with my parents in County Durham. He is an Open Show Best of Breed winner and was exhibited at Crufts 2007. Crisp is still very much part of the Golden (and Basenji) family when he comes to stay.
0773 302 3709
Visit our Website - Tenfield Golden Retrievers & Basenjis
- Golden Retriever
- CAILLLOCH RACER TO TENFIELD JW - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- CH TENFIELD MAORI VENTURE JW - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- MAGICAL SILVERY SEA BY TENFIELD - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD BINDAREE - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD COMMANDER IN CHIEF JW - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD PASS THE PEPPER - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD SEA THE STARS JW - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TOKAJI AMERICAN GANGSTER AT TENFIELD ShCM - Basenji (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD BORDER PATROL JW - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD BORDER RAMBLER JW - Golden Retriever
- TENFIELD SEA BISCUIT - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- TENFIELD RACEAWAY - Golden Retriever (Health Tested)
- 28th March 2013 - Golden Retriever (Parents Health Tested)
- 22nd May 2010 - Golden Retriever (Sire Health Tested)
- 23rd June 2009 - Golden Retriever (Sire Health Tested)
- 11th May 2008 - Golden Retriever (Dam Health Tested)
- 26th May 2007 - Golden Retriever
- 24th December 2006 - Golden Retriever (Sire Health Tested)
- 11th October 2006 - Golden Retriever (Sire Health Tested)
- 16th April 2006 - Golden Retriever (Sire Health Tested)
- Cailloch Racer To Tenfield - 3 results
- Cambremer Midnight Storm of Tenfield - 1 result
- Emorlen Lysander at Tenfield - 1 result
- Tenfield All at Sea - 1 result
- TENFIELD BINDAREE - 2 results
- TENFIELD BORDER PATROL JW - 4 results
- Tenfield Border Racer - 1 result
- TENFIELD BORDER RAMBLER JW - 4 results
- Tenfield Brandysnap - 1 result
- Tenfield Carraway - 1 result
- Tenfield Challenger - 1 result
- Tenfield Chamomile - 5 results
- TENFIELD COMMANDER IN CHIEF JW - 7 results
- Tenfield Golden Miller - 1 result
- Tenfield Ilex - 1 result
- CH TENFIELD MAORI VENTURE JW - 27 results
- TENFIELD RACEAWAY - 3 results
- Tenfield Rambling Rhythm - 1 result
- TENFIELD SEA BISCUIT - 12 results
- Tenfield Sea Patrol JW - 11 results
- TENFIELD SEA THE STARS JW - 11 results
- Tenfield Silver Gull - 1 result
- Tenfield Silver Sea Spray - 2 results
- TOKAJI AMERICAN GANGSTER AT TENFIELD ShCM - 13 results
- Berkshire Downs and Chilterns Golden Retriever Club
- Golden Retriever Club of Scotland
- Midland Golden Retriever Club
- North West Golden Retriever Club
- Northern Basenji Society
- Northern Golden Retriever Association
- South Western Golden Retriever Club
- THE GOLDEN RETRIEVER CLUB
- The Golden Retriever Club of Wales
- The Kennel Club Assured Breeders Scheme